Strata Bylaws from beginning to end is a topic for one of the strata educational seminars offered by Condominium Home Owners’ Association of British Columbia (CHOA) for Spring 2014.
This strata educational seminar includes an overview of bylaws for strata corporations, their creation, an examination of certain types of bylaws, and enforcement. You can register at CHOA's website for the seminar: http://www.choa.bc.ca/seminars.html
The seminar is offered in different locations in BC. In the Lower Mainland it is offered in New Westminster, Surrey, Richmond, Vancouver, North Vancouver and Coquitlam.
1. How bylaws are created and registered.
2. How the Strata Property Act Schedule of Standard Bylaws may apply.
3. The structure, purpose and enforceability of a bylaw.
4. The reason we need bylaws to regulate the administration of the strata corporation and the use and enjoyment of all property.
5. How other legislation may affect your bylaws.
1. Enforcement and limitation of age restriction bylaws.
2. Enforcement and limitation of rental restriction bylaws: Owner rentals family rentals, hardship, owner developer exemptions
3. The application of pet bylaws and special accommodation.
1. Privacy bylaws and the authority to conduct surveillance.
1. Insurance bylaws and the impact of damages and Insurance deductible costs.
1. Alteration bylaws and accommodating strata owners while protecting the interest of a strata corporation.
1. Who must enforce the bylaws and how decisions are made.
2. How a hearing is conducted.
3. Information strata council may require to execute decisions.
4. Enforcement and limitation of fining for bylaw violations.
5. How the strata corporation proceeds with court/other actions to recover a bylaw debt.
6. Who pays fines and costs: owner, resident, tenant violations